The origin of center-city farm-to-market sales began for York in 1754. According to the Royal decree granting permission for the operation of York’s first center square market.
York Central Market House was named to Pennsylvania’s Inventory of Historic Places in 1977 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. At nearly 35,000 square feet, the structure consumes almost an entire city block. For obvious reasons, it is important, yet sometimes expensive, to preserve and maintain such a historic and valuable structure.